Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Edinburgh, Scotland

We made it to Edinburgh safe and sound.  The trip was great and it was beautiful outside.  Most of the trip was along the coast which is always my fav.  When we got off the train we went to look for our hotel.  I would have to say we did well picking.  It was a quick walk from the train station and the perfect set up for us.  Also we met a lady from Alabama in the elevator…it must be fate!!

After dropping our bags off we headed out to explore.  First on our list was to find the Elephant House, the coffee shop where J.K. Rowling came up with the idea and wrote Harry Potter.  If you look out a few of the windows you can almost see why she came up with the idea of Hogwarts and there is a street behind it called Pottermor… coincidence?  Who knows ha!  Katie and I decided to eat lunch here where I got a Panini and Katie got chili.  The food was fabulous and hit the spot.  After eating Katie and I slowly moseyed back to the hotel so officially check in and to change into some better shoes.  Then we were off…


Found this little hat in a shop...so posh!

So in the center of the city the main road is called the Royal Mile because it is one mile from Edinburgh Castle to Palace of Holyrood (one of the Queen’s home away from home).  Katie and I walked along the Royal Mile for a while then headed down past Holyrood to check out the Salisbury Crags.  The Salisbury Crags is a popular area to hike.  The best place to hike is up the Arthur’s seat, 822 feet high and is the remains of an extinct volcano.  I definitely wanted to hike this beauty, but Katie’s back had been hurting all day so she didn’t want to risk it, so solo I went hiking this beast. 




Oh. My. Goodness. This was such a highlight of the trip.  You could see for miles and miles and it was GORGEOUS up there!!! I had so much fun!!! I even made some friends (of course).  First off I met a couple from London in town for a wedding, then some Americans from the south who were doing an internship in Dublin, and then my favorite was that I met a professor from Western Kentucky that knew my friend Jessica who worked at camp with me(J-Paul).  What a small world!!! I love making all these new friends ha!
My new friends from the South!
Yay Americans!
After my glorious hike, I popped in and out of shops along the Royal Mile until I met up with Katie for dinner at Pizza Express, yum!  After dinner we strolled the mile some more, took a picture with some bagpipers, and then hit up a pub.  I had the BEST cider.  It was strawberry-lime flavored and the best things ever!!! Now Katie and I are back in our hotel relaxing and trying to go to bed at decent time so we aren’t too tired for our three day tour we leave for tomorrow.  We are basically seeing the whole country in three days…wahoooo!  I am pumped!  



Well I am out…cheers yall!

No comments:

Post a Comment