Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Jet-Lagged and Getting Settled

Man is an overnight flight tiring or what! I got maybe an hour of sleep on the plane, but I just have a hard time and just take tiny naps here and there.  At one point, mid-flight I looked out the window and saw a lightning storm in the distance.  It was BEAUTIFUL and kind of scary to think that we are flying right beside it.  However, the flight was smooth the entire time, so no worries!

We safely landed at Heathrow-London Airport around 11:30 am.  It took us about an hour to get through the airport, customs, and to get our luggage before finding where the Heathrow Express was to get to Paddington Station.  When we got to Paddington Station we hopped in the taxi line, or should I say que, and noticed a group of women who kept looking at us.  Eventually, I asked one of them if it was that obvious that we were Americans because I noticed her starring.  She told us no because she thought we were Scandinavian like herself except for the fact that we had way more luggage.  She only had one little bag compared to our two large ones.  I bet she was thinking, “Oh those Americans” ha!  We then hopped into a cute little cab and headed to the Daniel House.
 On the Heathrow Express 

Our Cab!

Once we arrived, Katie H. (our resident director) welcomed us to the Daniel House, gave us the grand tour, ran over some house rules, and then let us get settled.  We didn’t stay long because we went to go see my friend Emma who has been living in London for the past few months.  We met her at the High Street Kensington tube stop in a little cafĂ© called Pret Manger.  Katie J and I were famished so we grabbed a quick bite before Emma helped us get a few necessities like a phone, an adapter, and a hair dryer for Katie.  After that Katie J headed back to the Daniel House to finish unpacking as I headed to Parsons Green with Emma.  She lives in this cute, non-touristy part of London and has an amazing flat!  It was so fun for her to walk me around and feel as if part of her new British life.  Hanging out with Emma will be one the best parts of being in London because A of all she is like a talking/walking Fodor’s travel book and B of all she is one of my bestest friends!!!

Well I am wiped and am about to hit the hay even though yes it is only 9 pm here! Cheers Yall!

2 comments:

  1. Loving this blog katy! I miss you already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're blogging all of this! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete