Monday, May 30, 2011

Where Did the Day Go?!

Happy Memorial Day or Happy Bank Holiday (the holiday over here across the pond).  It has no meaning besides that every year there are random “bank holidays” built into the schedule where most people don’t go to work and no school.  Well to celebrate Katie and I went to Cambridge with two other girls who are staying in the Daniel House with us, Courtney and Andrea. 

We took a 45 minute train that dropped us off at the Cambridge Station.  Our only plan for the day was to follow the walking tour in the book Emma had let me borrow.  To start off, we walked about a mile to a “colorful market” in the center of town.  That was the only description, but it was well worth it.  I bought a cute ceramic bowl and cream pitcher.  I would show you pictures, but the lady wrapped them up in cardboard so it can make it back with me to the states, but get ready because they are awesome!!! Then we must have looked super touristy because this guy asked us if we would like to go on a punting tour.  I know, you are thinking what in the world is punting!? 

Punting is by far the best thing I have done so far on my trip!!! It is a flat bottom boat that is steered by a long pole that a person hits the bottom of the lake and pushes you along.  It is sort of like the British version of a gondola ride.  On the tour, our guide Jasper from New Zealand (don’t say Australia because that is a major insult, I found out the hard way haha! He told me to jump out of the boat or he would start calling me a Mexian…who knew!) told us all about the history of all the buildings and bridges we saw and went under.  He was a hoot or maybe we were.  I think we entertained the entire boat which consisted of some quiet Japanese people and two couples from Northern Britain.  Actually of those two couples, the man beside me leaned over at one point and said, “did you know you are sitting with aristocracy?”  I didn’t believe it at first when he said he was the Lord Tate of somewhere.  After a few minutes, he then told me that for 28 pounds you can buy some land that makes you a Lord or Lady. Haha! I want to get my Ladyship!! (remember my birthday is in OctoberJ ) Jasper overheard us and he exclaimed, “where can I get some Ladyship?” because he wanted to get one for his girlfriend.  Not the words we wanted him to say…oh well he was still cute and fun to cut up with as we punted down the river.  He actually let Courtney take a go at punting. It was hilarious because she ran us under a willow tree.  We were crying we were laughing so hard!  I would say Team America as Jasper called us, made the tour top notch!
 On the punt with "Lord Tate" and his wife

 That's the mathematical bridge which Newton made without any bolts, nails,or screws.  And the punter to the right looks like Matt Kerlin ha!

 Good ole Jasper taking us down the river on the punt

This is when Courtney ran us into a Willow Tree.

Oh and I forgot to tell yall about our climb to the top of St. Mary’s Church.  For just a couple of pounds we were able to climb up this tiny steep staircase to the top of the church which enabled us to see for miles.  It was BEAUTIFUL!!!
 At the bottom of the stair case
at the top of the church 

After our punting and site seeing we headed to a local pub called The Anchor.  It was so yum and we sat where you cold overlook the river and see people punting around.  I got a bacon and chicken club sandwich with chips and a glass of Pimm’s, which is the traditional summer cocktail.  I think it is lemonade mixed with fruit and some alcohol called Pimm’s.  But it is so good!

As we were eating, it started to rain…boo! So when we left we bundled up before we walked around the city some more and shopped.  I actually bought a super cute dress from a Danish store called Noa Noa.  We walked for about a hour then headed to king’s College to attend their EvenSong, which is the evening mass where the university students sing.  It was really pretty to listen to and it felt like a very traditional mass in a Catholic church.  After the service we headed back to London and grabbed a bite to eat at Nando’s, a delish chicken place around the corner from the house. 
Now, that’s what I call a good day! Cheers yall!!

No comments:

Post a Comment