Sunday, May 29, 2011

People Watching

London is the perfect place to people watch, which I love to do! On the train today to Windsor Castle there was a dad and his four year old son, Henry, that rode next to us.  He was the cutest and was constantly asking questions, which was so funny to hear him and his dad talking.  Then on the train back, there was a crew of teenager boys, maybe around 12 years old, and they were singing S Club 7 really loud.  It was so funny because I have NEVER seen a group of boys just randomly singing and of all bands, S Club 7. Hahaha! Who knew they were even still out and about!

So with all these interesting people to watch, Katie and I have made it a game to guess what nationality people are.  Whether we are walking down the street, on the bus/tube/train, or in que (line) with people we are always saying I bet they are...  We also love to find Americans which are normally pretty easy to spot because they talk real loud, dress touristy, and never follow the unsaid rules of traveling on the tube.  I am sure we fit in these categories, but we are trying to blend.  Each day I get better at it and I get real pumped when people ask us directions because they think we know what we are doing even thought that is false.

Another thing about London is how much of an ethnic melting pot it is.  Some cultures I enjoy and some I don’t care to much for.  For example, today when I was in que (line) to go into the Queen’s Dollhouse and Estate Rooms at Windsor Castle, I somehow got in between groups of Asians.  They would just get up right on you since they have so sense of space and they would just cut.  The lines were so long and if I have to wait, so should they!  It got kind of frustrating at some points.  However, Windsor castle is so fun to see!  This is the Queen’s favorite estate to go to when she wants to get out of the city.  When we were buying our tickets, the people who work there told us that she was there this weekend, but later we found out that she wasn’t.  I was bummed!   Oh well.




After we hit up Windsor, I was worn out! So I went back to the Daniel House and took a quick nap before I met up with Emma to go to church.  She goes to Holy Trinity Brompton which is about a ten minute walk from the Daniel House.  I really enjoyed going to church with her.  It was so neat to worship with other Christ believers but in a completely different country.  I will definitely go back with her because you can never get the full feel for a church in one visit and I really liked it!!

After church Emma and I picked up sandwiches and headed to Kensington Park/Hyde Park where we sat on a hill and chowed down.  Yum! Then I needed to borrow a book from her so I stopped by her flat before heading home.  I am so tired so I am going to bed early!!(By the way... I heard it takes about the number hours difference in time zones in days to re-adjust, thus I have a day or two to go to completely switch to the UK time zone)  Tomorrow Katie and I are going to Cambridge.  The book I borrowed from Emma has a plan for us to walk around and see the main points, so we will be walking a lot but I am pumped! Well tally ho (I have no clue what that means). Cheers Yall!

No comments:

Post a Comment