Friday, May 27, 2011

Life as a foreigner

It is amazing how at some moments I feel like I fit in and blend amongst the Brits and at other times I feel like I should just slap an American flag on and chant USA! USA!  Like for instance, today Katie and I are trekking around Oxford and we decide to do the double-decker tour like we did the day before but in Oxford (truly, they are the best way to fit an entire city in a day and get a good grasp on everything!).  Well while we are talking to the bus driver and paying for our tickets, some lady on the radio asks why he hasn’t made it to his next stop and he replied “passengers”.  Immediately Katie and I said, you can just tell her it’s because of the Americans ha! It’s kinda weird, but Brits really do stereotype Americans as dumb and it doesn’t help that we have country accents (Katie worse than I).  Then later we were walking out of Christ Church College, which is where many of the sites in the first Harry Potter where filmed, and I was just checking the map to see where the covered markets where when this man came up to us to ask if we needed help.  We asked him and then he rolled his eyes and pointed to the street right in front of us.  Hello, if you want to be friendly and give someone directions, then don’t be a jerk about it.  As Stephanie Tanner from Full House would put it, “How Rudeee!” 
 Being a typical American tourist on the Double-Decker!
 Fish Finger Sandwich and "Chips" at the famous Turf Tavern! This is where Bill Clinton "did not" inhale pot.
 University Divinity School, but better known as the infirmary at Hogwarts in the first movie.
 Katie and I in front of Christ Church's gardens!
When Katie saw these ducks she got really pumped and said "they look just like American ducks! I wonder if they quack the same?"  I laughed really hard! 

Ok, so enough rants because the rest of the time everything has been amazing.  Or as our friend Jon Walter (some British guy we met today that guards Christ Church) says, “Smashing” or as the waiter at the pub we ate at today said, “Brilliant!”  You better believe these words will be added to my vocab!  Like if you ask me “how does my hair look?,” I would say “You look SMASHING and quite Brilliant!”  hahaha!

In a nut shell, I have moments when I miss the familiarity of America and home, but the excitement of the new and unknown is wonderful, rather yet, smashing! Tomorrow I shall be hitting up a couple of markets with Katie and Emma.  I am sure we will have a Brilliant time and buy lots of smashing trinkets!
Cheers Yall!

No comments:

Post a Comment