Sunday, June 12, 2011

"England in a Day"

Today was quiet the adventure.  The South Carolina girls, Courtney and Liz, had asked Katie and I to join them on a day trip via a coach (charter bus) to Stonehenge, Bath, the Cotswolds, and Stratford-upon-Avon or as the company called it, England in a Day.  Katie had already seen most of those, but I had not, so duh I wanted to go!  So early this morning I walked down to the Millennium Gloucester Hotel (which is where I stayed in January 2010) to be picked up by the tour.  Then we went to Victoria Coach station where everyone on the tours headed to the correct bus for their tour and this is where I met up with Courtney and Liz.

So we were off!  First stop was Stonehenge.  As we drove our tour guide was busting out with little bits of history and pointing out different buildings and what not.  For example he pointed out a steeple of a church where Mary Poppins flew over in the movie.  Cool, right!?! I thought so.  Once we got to Stonehenge, our guide said we had about 45 minutes to walk around and see everything.  Unfortunately it had started raining at this point and it was super windy, but we were determined to see it all.  As we walked around we were quiet the sight as our umbrellas were flipping inside out and we could barely walk against the wind. Below are some pictures, but I wish I had some of the ones the SC girls took.  They are hilarious!  When they get a chance to email them to me I will re-post this with better pictures!
 This is the Steeple Mary Poppins flew over!!

Our Tour guide





After our stop in Stonehenge, we were off to Bath.  This is such a fitting name because I felt like I took a bath or rather yet a shower while we were there.  You guessed right, it was still raining and harder at this point.  So when we pulled in our tour guide told us we had one hour to explore…I had expected more time here, so I was a bit disappointed.  Bath is one town I REALLY wanted to explore so I made the executive decision that I will just have to come back this month!  So for our hour, most of the people on the tour headed to the Roman Baths which are supposed to be amazing, however I set out on my own.  Since I had decided I would come back, I didn’t want to pay a good bit to see something as it poured on me and thus no good pictures would come about.  So I went to Sally Lunn’s House!  This is the oldest house in Bath which dates back to the 1400s!  Then in the 1600s Sally Lunn lived there and became famous for her buns (kind of like a scone but shaped like a massive hamburger bun).  So now the house is a restaurant where they sell Sally Lunn Buns!  So for my hour break, I went and got a pot of tea and half of a Sally Lunn bun with cinnamon butter.  It was tasty and such a fun atmosphere.  Also since I ate there I got to go to the Sally Lunn museum for free.  Don’t get too excited because really it was just the basement with a few things in it ha! 



So this is where life got really exciting/interesting.  Remember how I set off by myself…well I was pretty sure I knew where the bus was picking us up, but when I got there a few minutes before the driver said he would…no one was there.  If you know me, I easily freak and jump to the worst case scenario haha, so slowly I was beginning to freak.  At first I was like ok, so maybe it was another street and then yep, no one there either when I walked there.  Then I walked around some more and still no one.  Then I jogged back to the Roman Bathes were I had originally split up from some of the group and I didn’t see anyone either.  Yikes!  So to be rational, I was ok Katy if I get left in Bath I will just take the train back to London.  That would be worse case scenario.  But thankfully, I walked back to the original place I had tried and PTL spotted a couple who sat next to me on the bus.  I knew who they were because we had chatted about Tennessee since, yes ma’am they are fellow Volunteers from Murfreesboro,TN.  I just love my state J So to end my almost panic attack moment, I got on the bus safe and sound, just wet!  Gotta love traveling!!

Next stop on our tour was Strattford, but as we drove we went through the lovely Cotswolds!. This is a beautiful area full of small villages and the roads are lined with small brick walls.  If you think back to the movie, The Holiday, when Cameron Diaz goes to England for her holiday, she is in a village in the Cotswolds.  I don’t remember which one, but she is that area.  It is just full of cute, quaint villages with cottages made of brick.  Even Prince Charles has a house and land out here.  We got to see the back of his estate, but since he is the prince, we couldn’t pop in or stop in front it.  But very neat!

So as we drove to Stratford, which was a 2 hour drive, I just sat and looked out the window and listened to my ipod.  At this point I had given up trying to take pictures as we drove.  It was still raining a good bit and our driver drove so fast, that the pictures were not turning out so hot.  Oh well, It was so nice to just stare and let my mind process my last 2 ½ weeks in the UK.  Normally I get my best thinking and processing time when I drive, well here that is not an option, so I really enjoyed this drive!  I primarily listened to Mumford and Sons.  I guess I chose them since I was in their homeland and I just love their lyrics.  If you don’t know who Mumford and Sons are, you MUST listen to them!  (and I am seeing them in concert in 16 days!!!)

Finally we made it to the Shakespeare’s hometown, STRATFORD!  Since once again, it was raining we didn’t get to see a whole lot, but we did go to his house and museum!  We walked into the museum and listened to some videos, then these two actresses acted out a scene from his first play and read some sonnets.  But the best part was they gave us champagne and scones and strawberries will we listened.  Way to go Willy!  Afterwards we got to walk through his house.  Throughout the house there would be people telling stories of the significance and daily life Willy would have had back in the day.  It was very interesting, but I was ready to peace right after.  I really enjoyed it, but I didn’t want to stay there all day.  So Courtney, Liz, and I walked around the shops nearby.  Most of the shops had closed since everyone seems to close up early in the UK.  However, Courtney and I spotted a sign that said ButterBeer!  Being the Harry Potter fans that we are, we definitely had to investigate and get some.  That is just what we did!  As we were waiting for our butterbeers we started looking around the shop are realized it wasn’t a Harry Potter memorabilia store, but rather people who are into the arts of wizardry.  I got kind of creeped out so right after we got our drinks and duh took a picture, we left.  But in case you were wondering what they taste like, it is like a cream soda with more fizz like a soda and a buttery kick.  It was good, but I couldn’t drink a whole lot of it.  So my recommendation is share it with a friend!






Well after Stratford, that was a wrap for our day trip, well except for the fact that we had to drive back to London.  (I can’t believe I am here!!! So surreal!)  We ended up getting back around 8pm.  I then picked up a bite to eat and headed to the Daniel House were ever since I got home I have been uploading pictures, working on this blog, chatting with my buds, and helping plan Pub Club tomorrow.  Woop woop! Today overall was a lovely day, just a damp day…that is London for you!  Well Cheers Yall!!

No comments:

Post a Comment