Monday, June 6, 2011

MONDAY!!!

I knew it would finally happen and today was that day… a rainy commute to the hosptial.  I mean it is London, so I knew it had to happen at some point.  Katie and I strategically wore cropped pants so they wouldn’t get all wet and then bundled up in our raincoats and had our umbrellas.  We were prepared! However, I stuck out amongst the black attire with my coral cropped pants. Ha! Oh well, AMERICA!!

Today was the best yet! We are finally getting in the hang of the UK way of life in the hospital.  First off we headed up to the ward to meet Anna.  She would give us a patient to review on our own then we would come back to her to discuss.  Every time it gets less daunting and I feel more confident in my skills.  PTL (praise the Lord)!!! We stayed on the ward for a couple of hours before we had a training session to attend.  While at the session we met two more student pharmacists from South Carolina.  It was their first day and they looked and felt like us on our first day, overwhelmed and questioning whether they could handle it.  They will be fine and so will we!  After the session, the four of us headed to lunch where we got to know each other.  It will be nice having some friends to meet up for lunch each day.  Unfortunately, British people aren’t the most inviting people when it comes to making friends.  I mean yeah they will chat with you while working, but they will never just be hospitable and invite you to do something.  I guess that is a Southern thing and I do miss that!  Thank goodness for the South Carolina girls.

After lunch, Anna sent me to another ward to work with a different pharmacist and Katie to follow a pharmacist on referrals (aka they went all over the hospital to handle harder patient cases).  I was nervous to go by myself at first, but it was great.  I really just shadowed the pharmacist I was with, Deanna.  However, she was so nice and would talk aloud about why she was looking a specific parts of the charts and how she determined everything.  It was great to just see it all go together because at that point we had just done bits and pieces of the work, but not how a pharmacist would work when alone.  The afternoon flew by and next thing I know, it is 5:30 aka time to go home!

Katie and I both had bought groceries so we stayed in to eat dinner.  I had a broccoli and tomato quiche which was delish!  Afterwards a group from the Daniel house decided to hit up a pub in Chelsea.  So about 9 of us headed out to the Pigs Ear Pub. Ha! We choose that one because it is known for having tons of board games to play.  While we were there we all got some cider (I can’t remember what it was called) and then played speed scrabble.  So fun!  Oh and we wanted something to snack on and the cheapest thing was to get a basket of bread.  Even though it was kind of random, we got to baskets of bread ha!  We were all having such a good time that we are going to make this a tradition.  Monday = Pub Club!! Wahoo!  Well I am off to bed to get rested before another busy and exciting day at the hospital! Cheers Yall!!

1 comment:

  1. Loving the updates! :) I almost called you today while I was driving and had to remind myself that you're not in Alabama or Tennessee!! ha!

    ReplyDelete