Friday, June 10, 2011

"Insert Funny Title for a boring Post" ...

What a day! When I woke up this morning I was so tired.  I guess staying out on Abbey Road wore me out?  Ha!  At work we were slammed!  I was on the ward that I normally go to and normally day we will have about 5 to 8 new patients that have come overnight.  Well today almost everyone was new!  It was so hectic.  Also, since St. Thomas is a teaching hospital, there are several levels of doctors and students, it was so crowded with doctors!  This particular ward is not that big,  so most of the morning consisted of me trying to track down patient’s binders because they are never where they are supposed to be.  The doctors seem to huddle together and take all of the binders with them which then I can’t get to them.  Oh but to help out, I would track down a binder, then fill out the patients past medical history, allergies, presenting complaints, and any plan the doctor was considering.  Even though it was a extremely busy and hectic day, I felt like I was being a big help.  Since I was running around doing that, Deanna the pharmacist was able to tackle the other issues that I am not able to do. 

While I was on the ward I did not think I was that tired but when I sat down at lunch I realized I was pooped!  I guess I had a lot of energy and adrenaline running around and chatting with patients.  It is funny talking to patients because they have so much trouble understanding my accent and half the time they are either deaf or have dementia.  Funny things happen a lot but  there is always a mix of sad moments, like yesterday when one of our patients passed.  I don’t think you can ever get used to that.  But overall, It is a very interesting floor.  So today was great day at work mainly because I finally felt like I belonged and helped.  The nurses and staff know who I am and like to cut up with me and even ask my opinions on some things.  Only bad part is now that I feel like part of the team, I am switching wards with Katie to get another perspective.  I am not real excited even thought it will be a good learning experience.  Oh well!

After work Katie and I decided to do different things.  Katie went to dinner at Hard Rock Café with the SC girls, while I went to dinner with Emma.  We went to an Italian place in Convent Gardens.  This area is primarily known for its shopping and theaters.  Many of the broadways are located here!  Dinner was delicious!  I think the place was called Italia Fresh?  I had eggplant tortellini and some wine.  After dinner I was wiped out, so I headed home where I found a big surprise…my debit card had been hacked and some jerk in Mexico has spent $1500 since Monday.  Great!  So for the last little bit I have been on the phone with my bank and with my parents trying to sort it out.  Not the best way to end your day. 

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.  I am sure it will be because tomorrow is the Trouping of the Colours…aka the Queen’s “birthday!”  It actually isn’t her real birthday, but way back when the monarchy decided they wanted to celebrate when it was warm outside so now June 11th is very Queen or King’s birthday.  I have decided to follow suite and one up the Queen, every 5th of the month is my birthday, so mark your calendars because you only have 25 days to get my birthday present!! Oh and on my actual birthday, it will be a world-wide holiday.  Cinco de Octubre!!! I wish this were true…a girl can dream!  Well cheers yall!!! And be careful of debit card stealers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment