Sunday, June 26, 2011

Going Solo

Today was a first for me, taking a day trip all by myself.  I was a bit nervous at first, but it was fabulous even though I would have loved company.  The one bad thing about taking a day trip by yourself is who is going to take your picture.  I got creative and would notice if groups were taking pictures and would offer my services to take their groups picture.  Then to return the thanks I would ask them to take mine.  It was a great plan and always worked! 

To start my adventurous day, I met up with Jessica (Kristin’s friend from college) to have coffee at Paul, that French bakery near the house.  Once it again it was delish!  Then we both parted ways for the day.  I headed to Paddington station to catch a train to Bath.  The ride was beautiful and the perfect amount of time to finish my book, The Help.  Which by the way everyone needs to read this gem! 

Once in Bath I headed towards the Roman Bathes to tour them.  They were so neat and so cool to think that hundreds and hundreds of years ago people like Julius Caesar would have been chilling out and relaxing in these hot water bathes. 




After hitting up the Bathes, I went into the Abbey for a quick tour.  Of course I came the one day they weren’t giving the tour to go up to the very top of the steeple, but besides that it was real pretty and fun to see.  Also it was free so you can’t beat that! 


Now it was time to check out the parks, but first I had to find something quick to eat.  I ended up going to Pret a Manger and grabbing a sandwich and a water that I could just take with me and eat at a park.  On my way to the park I walked along the river and got to see the Putney Bridge which is constructed to look like the bridges in Florence, Italy.  Hopefully one day I can go see the real thing, but for now this works just fine! 


Then I headed up some steep inclines to get to the “circus.”  The circus is a circle of buildings that are constructed in a circle.  In the middle of it is a roundabout for the cars and at the very center a small grassy area.  This is where I ate my lunch.  It was so lovely sitting in the shade and my sandwich hit the spot! 


After I ate I walked to the Royal Crescent which is kind of similar to the circus except that the buildings are just in the shape of a crescent.  Back in the day these were flats that the rich and famous would rent out in the summer when they would go on Holiday.  Bath used to be quite bustling city for wealthy.  People came here for the bathes and for fashion, since this used to be one the fashion capitols of the world.  Now it is just a beautiful city primarily full of tourists, like myself!  The crescent is also located atop a hill that overlooks the city and a large park, Victoria Park.  It was spectacular and I just love how English people flock to the parks on sunny days.  I guess when you don’t have sun all the time you have to enjoy it while you have it.  While up at the Crescent, I toured one of the Georgian styled flats that was furnished as it would have been back in the 1700s.  It was fun to see.  Then I went to chill in the park for a bit and I called my parents too!


Since I was across the city, opposite the train station, and it was 3:30, I thought it would be a good time to start moseying back.  As I walked I would pop in and out of stores and window shop.  Once I made it back to the Putney bridge, I noticed a cute coffee shop within the bridge, so naturally I had to stop!  It had a fantastic view!! I ended up making friends with this girl from California who is traveling Europe for 7 weeks on her summer break from being a high school biology teacher.  We became friends because I asked her if I could sit with her at her table since she had prime location to look out at the water.  It was the perfect way to end the day, an iced coffee, a good view, and a new friend!  Then it was time to head on home.
 So glad I asked the California girl if I could sit with her!

My view from the coffee shop within the bridge!
As I was getting on the train I turned around and saw one of the pharmacist I had worked with this past week.  What a small world that we would both take a day trip, catch the same train, and be on the same coach!!! I sat by this cute lady from London and we chatted most of the 90 minute ride home, even though I was exhausted and struggling to stay awake.  It is amazing how walking in the sun all day will wear you out! 

Later after I had gotten back to the Daniel house and eaten dinner, I met up with Jessica (Kristin’s friend from UGA) and we went for a run in Hyde Park.  It was fabulous!! We ended up running 2 miles and walking 2.5 miles for a total of 56 minutes.  She had this neat garmin watch that told us how far and in what time.  We enjoyed our run so much that tomorrow night we are going to go again!!! I can’t wait and hopefully I will not be too sore from tonight.  Since getting back from my run, Katie and I have been booking hotels for next week.  All we had left to book was a one night in Edinburgh, Scotland and then the two nights when we will be back in London before our flight.  Finally, mission accomplished!!! (and we didn’t break the bank which I thought was going to happen…PTL!!!)  Well friends, it is that time of night, so Cheers yall!!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE hearing about you and Jessica hanging out :)

    ReplyDelete