Wednesday, June 22, 2011

One month in...

Can you believe it, in one week I will have survived my first clinical rotation!?! I am in disbelief!  Well today marked the one month point for Katie and I's time in London.  Man time has flown.  It feels like yesterday that we were trapped in the Miami airport waiting for our plane to be fixed to head over here.

At work today I was on the Elderly Care Wards.  In the morning I shadowed a pharmacist who mostly works on the stroke ward.  It was very interesting and it also showed me how weak I am in that section of medicine.  I need to study up.  Actually that is on the agenda for tonight because tomorrow Katie and I have to go to a discussion meeting our two patient cases which both involve stroke.  The group is excited for us to come so we have share our American knowledge...only problem is my knowledge is lacking.  This should be an interesting meeting.  Wish us luck! Oh but yes, I just followed Vicky around all morning and she is really great at talking through everything, so I felt like I was learning but at the same time it was overwhelming that I zoned out alot. :) Come on, you all know you do the same thing!

After lunch we had to go to a team meeting where they discussed a few points with everyone on the medicine pharmacy team.  They do this every other Wednesday just to get a chance for the whole team to meet.  Afterwards I headed up to another ward by myself to just on patients discharging and needing a pharmacist to get together their medications.  I think I did well with the two I worked on.  Of course the pharmacist had to check them before they went out, but I did all the hard part on my own at least.  Also I helped a doctor to an audit on the patients recieving antibiotics while admitted to the hospital.  All I had to do was go look at each patients chart and make a check by their name if they were one an antibiotic.  Easy Smeashy!

Then at 4:30, just as we do every Wednesday afternoon, the team met up for a teaching session.  This is where someone either on the team or from another section of the hospital comes and talks about some topic to teach us.  Today was all about trachiotomies and how that relates to pharmacy.  It was pretty interesting however I had to work really hard to not fall alseep.  Whenever I sit for too long my eyelids get so heavy.  Hope no one noticed!!

By the end of the meeting it was 5:30 and time to head home.  Tonight was a community dinner at the Daniel House in which the house mom made a traditional English meal, "Bangers and Mash."  Basically we had sausage and mash potatoes along with some veggies.  I opted for the vegetarian version and it was quite delish!  Tonight is also the last night for a few of the crew and then the rest of the crew (minus a few) leave Friday morning.  I am sad that so many of them are leaving!  It is going to be sooooo quiet in the house.

Now I am chilling in my room and researching hotels to stay in while in Edinburgh, Scotland.  Katie and I may go this weekend.  So tonight is devoted to making sure we can do it.  If our tour works out and there is a train leaving at a good time, Anna our preceptor is allowing us to leave before lunch on Friday and not come in until after lunch on Monday so we can go.  We just have to work one day later to make up the time, which is no big deal :)  I hope it works because the tour will be amazing and show us a huge chunk of Scotland!!

Well I am off to re-learn about stroke and look at hotels.  Cheers yall!

No comments:

Post a Comment