Monday, June 13, 2011

Hannah Montana? Miley? Pharmacist Katy? Tourist Katy?

During the week I have learned that I have two separate lives…Pharmacist Katy and Tourist Katy (kind of like Hannah Montana and Miley!).  From the moment I wake up until 5:30 I keep the pharmacist hat on, but at 5:31 it is time to hit the town (most of the time).  Today after work Katie and I met up with a few Daniel House people at a pub near Picadilly Circus.  I think it was called the Blue Hole? A group of us decided last week that Monday’s would be Pub Club where we go to a pub, have a cider, and hang out.  This week we went a little early so some people could go to a play afterwards.  Since it was kind of early when we were at the pub, a bunch of us were not hungry so we just chatted and sipped our pear cider (so yum!).  Afterwards we walked around to explore and to eventually find somewhere to eat.

As we are walking, we stumbled upon a group of street dancers.  There were four boys about 15 years old doing some hip hop and break dancing.  At one point in their performance they said they needed to assistants…and yes I was one of them. So funny! But what they had us do was stand in a line and bend down and then one of the boys was going to jump over us.  In my head I was like crap I am about to get crushed in the middle of Picadilly Circus, but no he soared over us!  One of my new friends, Anna Margaret, took a video and some pictures.  When I get a hold of them I will post them in this blog. 

Here is the video ...
http://rubbishrambles.tumblr.com/post/6589616176/katy-being-a-brave-soul-one-random-night-yes




After almost facing death via a hip hopper, the group walked to Covent Gardens where we stumbled upon this fun restaurant called Fuel.  They had a bunch of outside eating, but if you went inside it was basically underground and possibly an old bomb shelter turned modern.  We ended up sitting in this VIP feeling section that had an aquarium right beside our table! It was so fun!!! We ate and chilled and had a lovely time.  Then for dessert we all headed to the grocery store beside the Daniel House and bought a cookie (and I got some groceries for the week).  Such a fun night!!


Now lets rewind his blog to the Pharmacist Katy part of the day….. So this morning I headed to the CDU (clinical decision unit) with a pharmacist named Kevin.  He is a super fast talking, brilliant (smart), Indian looking British guy.  I was a bit nervous that I wouldn’t be able to keep up because he is known for going real fast through things and being the young southern American pharmacy student that I am, I am not quite up to his speed.  However, I feel like I dine a fine job, but maybe that was because it was a quiet morning.  Either way, everything went smoothly!  Also while in the CDU I met a nurse from TEXAS!  Kevin was talking to her and in my head I was like hold up that is an American accent.  So of course I asked if she was from the States which she then mocked my in a fake Southern accent to ask if I was from the South.  I didn't care because I was just excited to be with a fellow American!! After chatting for a bit we decided we must hangout sometime soon!  So hopefully we really will because I want to hear about her life in London and how she got here.

After that I headed up to Victoria ward where I spent all last week since there were a lot of pharmacists already on the ward I was originally supposed to go to today.  I was not complaining because I love working with Deanna the pharmacist and I have made buds with the ward secretary.  He is this jolly Indian man who loves to joke around.  Today I wore some boots that came below my knee with tights and a dress, so this prompted him to come and ask (think in a British/Indian accent) “Is there water on your road?” Which I replied completely confused, “what!?”  He then said, “you were boots today. Hehehhehehe!”  I wish you could hear his laugh; it just makes everything so funny.  Let me give you our friendship background.  So one day last week every time I would get on the lift (elevator), he would be there.  So at one point as we were walking into the ward I commented that he was following me or something like that and this made him think I was such a funny American.  Thus we are buds!  Yay for new friends, especially with funny accents and laugh a lot!

Along with funny moments with my new Indian friend, I had a great day on the clinical side of things.  I am really beginning to grasp what we are doing and I am starting to be able to do things on my own.  It is such a great feeling!  I don’t have to follow the pharmacist around like a puppy and I am gaining confidence in my clinical judgements and just being in the environment.  I even talked to a doctor about changing a antibiotic dose due to a patients poor renal function.  Whooop whoop, way to go PharmD Katy!! 

So to end this entry, today was smashing and brilliant!  I had bits and pieces of two worlds and it was the perfect combo for a lovely day!  Hope you all had a great day! Cheers yall!

No comments:

Post a Comment