Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hello

Sorry folks for another skipped day of blogging.  This time it was not my fault.  The Daniel House's internet was out last night so I wasn't able to blog.  Also I was wiped out,so to be honest I probably would not have blogged anyways.  At least I was honest!

Lets go back in time to Monday...it was definitely a Monday.  It was one of those days I really missed being in America.  It is funny how somedays I never want to leave London and others I can't wait to hop on a plane home.  I was just tired of being the odd ball out and tired of being passed around because they didn't know what to do with me or were to busy to tell me what to do.  Honestly the morning was fine because I was on my normal ward and knew how everything ran, but that afternoon was rough.  Another ward on the opposite end of the hospital was short staffed and they needed help and no one could help, except me, the intern.  The only issue was that I have NEVER been to that part of the hospital, so it was all new to me.  I mean for the most part you do the same things but I didn't know my way around and the pharmacist I was there to help was uber busy and didn't have the time to explain, show, or teach me anything.  I just felt like I was in the way and not a help at all.  AND it did not help that I was exhausted from our amazing, but tiring day trip the day before.  Oh well, I made it through and today was quite lovely!

Today I got to go to the general medicine wards of the hospital with Rachel, a pharmacist that I really enjoyed working with!  This ward is where many of the patients from the admission wards that I normally work on are moved to after it is established they need multiple days of care and monitoring.  The admission wards are only meant to be stayed on for a few days and then you get moved to either specialized floors, general medicine wards, or elderly care wards.  Rachel was great at letting me help out, but yet also talking through what she was doing.  Even though there were moments of standing around being bored, I learned alot from the wide variety of patients we dealt with.  My favorite moment of the day was counseling a patient on his new warfarin  medication.  I think I did a smashing job!!

To top off the day, as Katie and I were about to leave Rachel invited us to grab drinks with a group of the girls who work there.  Finally, we have been invited to join in!  Of course we said yes.  So we all headed across the street to this cute bar and all ordered a martini.  Everyone else got one and highly recommended it, so do as the Romans...I got one too!  It was delish and since it was happy hours it wasn't to expensive (I just can't think about it in US dollars : / )  We met several other pharmacists who don't work on our wards along with just getting to know the other ones on a non-working level.  It was brilliant!

After hanging around for a bit, Katie and I headed back to the hospital to meet up with one of the South Carolina girls, Courtney, to go grab dinner at our new favorite restaurant, Giraffe.  This is the same place Katie and I ate at last Friday and we loved it so much that we are already going to it again.  This time they were having a cheap deal on burgers, so to follow my cheap-skate ways I went with the special and got the "giraffe burger."  After dinner and chatting a bit, we all headed to a gelato place because Katie had a hankering for ice cream.  I am so glad she did because this place was AMAZING!  I got a mix of two flavors that were delightful!!

Now Katie and I are back at the house trying to sort out some travel plans for Scotland.  We have booked our lodging for when we are in St. Andrews.  We are staying at a cute bed and breakfast/hotel in the center of town.  It looks great and is highly recommended so I am pumped!!!  Unfortunately the main tour we wanted to do at the first of our trip is already booked up so we are trying to figure that out.  Sad!  We are on the hunt and I am sure we will figure it all out.  Well cheers yall and happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment