Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Freedom!

Rotation One? Check!

Yes ma’am, my working days in the UK are over as of today.  The morning went as usual with doing some medicine reconciliations, calling GPs, and talking to patients.  However, I did have my final evaluation with Anna at 11…I passed with flying colors!!! I know you were worried.  Actually there was a point in the first week that Katie and I were seriously worried that we would fail and I am so thankful that is not the case. 
At lunch to celebrate I bought lunch instead of bringing mine and I bought these gummy aliens that are so good! I need to buy some to bring back with me!! After lunch life got really exciting because Katie and I got to go to the Labor and Delivery wards for a few hours with Jane, the “gynae” pharmacist.  It was so interesting to see all the bits and pieces.  Jane was so nice and told us all about how things work on those wards and answered any questions.  After that we headed back to our normal wards to find out that the work was pretty much done for the day, except as a team Katie and I did counsel a patient on Warfarin.  But besides that we were done!!! I can’t believe it! It really hasn't set in, but maybe that is because no one made a big deal about it since we are going bowling with the team next week.  The only person who seemed to care was Lisa the secretary who almost cried that we were leaving.  That part was sad, but overall I loved my experience, but I will be happy to get back to a norm.


Here are some pictures we took to remember our last day at work...



To celebrate our being done, Katie and I walked around the Westminster area for a while then hopped on and off buses to go back to our neck of the woods.  We never take the bus to work, but we thought we would change it up today.  When we got back to our neighborhood, we got Nando’s take away (to-go) then headed home to have a movie night since it was kind of gross outside.  We watched The Queen to get us pumped for Scotland.  By the time it was over, we weren’t ready to head to bed so duh, we watched another movie, Sabrina.

As we were heading up the stairs, the adventurous and exploratory Katy got an idea.  On the floor that Katie and I’s room, there is a window that leads out to the roof of the second floor (or the main floor above the basement).  Since there are few of us in the house, Katie, Ben, and I ventured out onto the roof.  It was so neat! We stayed out here for a good while telling Ben funny stories of patients we had interacted with over the past month.  I think sometime this week I will do a blog post just about some of my patients. After a while of being on the roof, our interest was sparked to find the door to the main roof.  We found it, but to our dismay the door was bolted down.  Bummer!  Maybe we can find some keys later this week to try again!

Oh speaking of roofs, I need to tell you about our crazy neighbors.  Since none of the houses/flats have A/C everyone keeps their windows open and all of our flats are so close to each other, you are constantly hearing your neighbors but last night was the best yet.  So if you are looking out my window you can almost look straight into our neighbor’s window.  At night there is a different color light shining and some nights the lights are constantly changing.  For example, last night they had a purple light on that was shining through and the day before that it was blue.  Also these neighbors love to have parties and play techno music.  Honestly it doesn’t bother me because they are quite entertaining.  Yes, Katie and I like to check on them time to time to see what color light is shining and if they are having another party.  Well last night at our 11pm they turned up the techno and were having a jolly ole time. Then all of a sudden we hear this lady with a French accent yell at them to turn the music down and then a bank.  Come to find out our next door neighbor was really irritated and yelled at then slammed her window shut.  Katie and I just laughed, but it worked because they turned it off, or at least low enough that you couldn’t hear it.

Well on that note, I am off to bed. Cheers Yall!

No comments:

Post a Comment