Saturday, June 4, 2011

Jersey Shore, UK style

PTL for Saturdays!!! (PTL = Praise the Lord).  Today we went to Brighton or really I should say the British Jersey Shore.  Brighton is a flamboyant beach town on the coast of the English Channel.  It is known for its pebble beach, pier, marina, royal pavilion, and lots of interesting people.  To compare it to America, I feel like it would be a mix of Daytona Beach, Coney Island, and Venice Beach with a British accent.  Also this a popular place for hen and stag parties, which in A-mer-i-ca we would call bachelorette and bachelor parties.  Except for at these outings they dress up in ridiculous outfits.  Crazy Brits!!

So Katie and I got up the normal time to catch a train from Victoria station.  While at the station we were waiting for them to post which platform we would leave from at 9:36.  We waited and we waited and we waited.  Finally at 9:32 they posted the platform.  Along with a mass of people, Katie and I started running for platform 15.  We made it just in time, but not a minute to spare.  On the train we sat with two lovely British ladies who were also taking a day trip to enjoy the beach and ocean.  We chatted the entire time which made an hour train trip fly by.  I just love making new friends J
On the train with a cup of tea
Once at Brighton’s train station we met up with Emma who took a train from another station in London.  Along with everyone else, we started the trek toward the water.  It was BEATIFUL and so weird to see people swimming since it wasn’t super hot.  Weather wise, it was like a really sunny day on Spring Break…aka highs around 75 and a strong wind.  Of course we had to go see how cold the water was and to our surprise it wasn’t horrible.  If I had been there to lay on the beach all day I definitely would have barred the cold and gotten in.


Next stop on our adventure was the Brighton pier.  It was still kind of early so not to many people were there yet.  That was so ideal because we were able to take tons of pictures and really enjoy it before it was swarming with people.  Katie and I rode the haunted house ride before we headed to grab lunch.  We ate at a restaurant famous for their fish and chips, thus we got fish and chips!  It was quite tasty and my new favorite pub food is mushy peas.  It is kind of like mash potatoes except it is peas, yummm!  After lunch we started the long walk to the marina.  Even though it was in the 70s, it was so hot!!  We walked around for a bit and looked at all the boats.  Since we were all super hot and tired, we rode this funny little train back to the pier.
When we got back to the pier we grabbed some ice cream and headed to the Pavillion.  On the way we saw a protest going on (who knows for what) and some crazy drunk men cheering and chanting.  I told you, interesting people are every where in this town!  We then walked around the Pavillion and it’s garden for a bit.  The pavilion is a awesome palace which looks more like something that would be in India, but it was one of the King’s getaways from the 1800s.  It has an amazing garden surrounding it and is beautiful!!!  Near the pavilion is “the lanes” which is a quaint area full of shops.  We walked through them, but didn’t get anything.  I wanted to go back to the pier, so we headed back down to the water.

On the pier!
This was us on the "Haunted House" ride.  I looked scared, right!?! 

 The Pavilion

Katie and I on the train between the marina and pier.  Sorry it is so dark.
At this point in the day (3ish) the beach and pier where PACKED with people.  This made for amazing people watching!!  There are lots of rides at the end of the pier and I decided to ride the roller coaster.  I thought Katie was going with me, but she didn’t want to pay the money.  Oh well, I still did it and it was so fun.  I have come along way considering a few years ago you could not get me near a roller coaster.  I guess I am growing up!!  After my thrilling coaster ride we sat on the pier and I got a banana crepe which is one of my favorite things about being in Europe.  There are crepes every where and they are delicious!! Oh and as we sat, the sea gulls were nuts and very entertaining to watch along with all the people.  By this point we were all getting tired from being in the sun all day and walking, so we headed to a pub to chill and get a drink.  We ended up at one that was playing the England vs. Switerland futbol game and I ordered a Pear Cider called kopperburg(?).  Yum!! After a bit is was time to head home.

Once again we barely caught the train.  I had stopped in a shop on the way to the station and thus was behind Emma and Katie so I really almost missed the train they were on.  I got on the train at 6:48 and it left at 6:49 ha!  Actually when I got on there were no seats on the train so half of the way I had to stand…booo!  But eventually I got to sit down.  Once back in London, Katie and I went to a local restaurant near the Daniel House.  Now we are back in our room chilling.  I am starting to rub off on Katie because she wanted to do a yoga video with me and tomorrow she wants to go read in Hyde Park.  By the end of the trip I will have here walking miles, hanging out in parks, and loving yoga!!

Well I am drained from being in the sun all day, so I am gonna peace.  Cheers yall!!

No comments:

Post a Comment