Saturday, October 8, 2011

Happy Birthday Katy!

October 5th

Happy Birthday to me! Sorry I just had to…  Well guys I am just on cloud nine from feeling the love from my friends and family.  I mean I woke up to text messages and twitter texts…can’t beat that!!  I am so thankful for my family and all of my friends.  It was so exciting to hear from people when I am so far from everyone and sorta of cut off from reality out here in Montana.

Well on another note today was my first day at the Blackfeet Community Hospital and what an experience it was.  So like most rotations the first day is full of orientation stuff which is usually very organized and gives you a clear picture of what is going to go on here.  Well not here.  Instead they make it like a scavenger hunt with a list of people to go talk to and to sign your bright neon green sheet of paper.  Yes this sounds fun and like a good idea, but no one cared to explain to us how to go about this or to even show us where to find these people.  Needless to say we did a lot of wandering.   On the bright side, being light skinned in an Indian Health Hospital makes you stand out and people are friendly to try to help.

After our not so exciting free lunch, we checked a few more people off our list and then headed back to the pharmacy.  Here Harold and other people gave us random things to do, like label in-patient medicines.  Then once our odd jobs were completed I ended up working with the narcotics while Linds and Brit were filling prescriptions and counseling (I think?)  Well for the narcotics area Harold taught me how to use this super duper fancy machine to fill all of the controlled medications.  It really wasn’t that hard once you got a hold of it, but it was sort of stressful because I did not want to screw anything up with the counts.  Gary, the head/chief pharmacist, supposedly gets real agitated when the counts are off and do not want to be the cause of that frustration.  Yikes!

So for the next few hours I stood and filled the narcotics.  I did have a moment of panic when the counts got off.  I was like oh great they are going to ship me back to Alabama after one day.  However, everything was easily resolved and it was no big deal.  Whewwww!

At 6pm it was time to call it a day and to discuss the options for the nightly activity.  At this point in the day no one knew it was my birthday.  I mean I guess if they had looked at all the forms I filled out they might have noticed the dates were the same, but no.  Also I was not about to bust in on my first day and say hello my name is katy and by the way today is my birthday.  So yea I played it cool haha!  But as we are discussing the night I remind Linds I wanted to make a birthday cake.  Thus my birthday was brought into the discussion and we all decided to go eat at this place about 20 miles from Browning called Ramsey’s.


Dinner was fabulous!  I had a big grilled chicken Caesar salad with a glass of huckleberry wine.  Huckleberry is a big deal in these parts and I wanted to get in on the action.  Good decision!  Oh but I almost forgot to mention the excitement before dinner, the creation of my birthday cake.  We had gotten stuff to make a confetti cake the day before, so right after work Brit and I whipped it together.  When it was time to come out of the oven I noticed it looked funny with the inner part all sunken in, but oh well.  Well later as we are trying to ice it, it is just crumpling and turning into a mess.   So we just ended up pouring icing on it and saying forget trying to look good, lets just eat straight from the pan.   Even though it was a complete mess, it tasted pretty good.  Even Harold dug into it and liked it.  So I guess that is how this year is going to be…messy but good.  Can’t wait to find out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment